Thursday, May 12, 2011

Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival Report







Last Saturday I went to the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival right here in Columbia, at the Howard County Fairgrounds. It is the largest festival of its kind on the east coast. I had good advice to get up and go early, because by 9:15 a.m., there was about a one-mile back-up to turn into the parking area.

As you can see, the festival is about much more than just sheep, including goats, llamas, alpacas and rabbits. I'm pretty sure I offended a human owner when I asked if I could take a picture of the "cute sheep." But I apologized- to the owner and the goat.

Cady had to be coerced into posing with a llama? alpaca? and a bunny rabbit. She was whiny about walking the entire festival. I told her not to wear boots.

The sheep/goat booth is also where I got the great hot pink mohair that will make a nice re-rooted scalp for Blythe. I'm big on pink hair. The little clay robots will make some great pullrings.
There was also pottery, jewelry, rugs, beeswax and clothing, as well as plenty of food vendors. I thought about a lamb sandwich, but couldn't do it. I settled for a corndog and a stomach ache.

By the time I trekked to my car three hours later, the parking area looked like that of a giant shopping center. But I guess it was, actually, and handmade is always fun. When I got home, I couldn't resist the urge to doodle some sheep.

1 comment:

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh how fun! Cady is adorable! Looks like you've got several new girls, or is it just my imagination? Well I'm moved across the country now and we're practically neighbors! :)